Weekly Email: Week 3 Term 1
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I am pleased to inform you all that Woodford has been awarded an IB Grant for 2020 from the prestigious International Baccalaureate Organisation. This award is in recognition of the excellent work the school does in offering the IB Primary Years Programme especially in the face of financial and other constraints. It follows as a result of the evaluation visit by the International Baccalaureate that many of you will remember from May last year. We will utilize the grant to offset amounts for IB Professional Development, i.e., workshop registrations for IB-run events and IB online courses.
A quick reminder that all Term 1 fees are now due. Please pay promptly to avoid burdening the school with any of the additional costs associated with late payments. A big thankyou to the many parents that have paid up fully and in good time.
The Board are looking for new board member nominations for the AGM on 11th March. For more information please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Caring Hearts Assembly
On Friday 14 February the Primary School will have a Caring Hearts Assembly in which WISE, Year 3 and Year 5 students will show their appreciation for the teachers, ancillary staff and administration staff. Year 4 has chosen to care for people in Australia who are affected by the bushfires and floods. They will do this by having a garage sale on Friday 21 February at 3:00 pm
Middle School STEM Programme
In week 4 of next term all Middle school students will participate in the STEM exhibition. During this exhibition students will showcase their inventions and explain how they were made and how they work. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. STEM is important because it pervades every part of our lives. Science is everywhere in the world around us. Technology is continuously expanding into every aspect of our lives. Engineering is the basic design of roads and bridges, but also tackles the challenges of changing global weather and environmentally-friendly changes to our home. Mathematics is in every occupation, every activity we do in our lives. By exposing students to STEM and giving them opportunities to explore STEM-related concepts, they will develop a passion for it and hopefully pursue a job in a STEM field. Middle school students will start working on their STEM project next week.
Middle School (Years 6-8)
1. All students should have all their lockers sorted out this week. Please encourage your child/ren to use their lockers.
2. P.E Uniforms - Please acquire P.E uniform for your child/ren if you haven't already. We need all students to use P.E uniforms during their P.E lessons. Students should wear their house colour P.E shirt and navy blue P.E shorts.
3. Shoes - All students are required to wear shoes during schooltime. Should your child/ren have a genuine excuse for not wearing shoes for a day or two, send a note to the main office, the respective homeroom teacher or email the Middle school coordinator: email@example.com
4. Middle School STEM programme - Middle school students will begin their STEM projects next week (week 4). STEM Exhibition Day is set for FRIDAY WEEK 4 TERM 2 (15th MAY 2020)
5.Student Diaries - Students should be using their diaries to jot down important dates (eg. Test dates, assignment due dates, homework, etc) Do check at home that they are keeping up their work.
6. Homework schedule: Middle School Homework schedule was sent out last week. Each of the 4 core subjects; English, Math, Science, and SOSE have an allocated day each week for giving homework. Check that students do them.
7. e-books: Students should already have access to e-books on English, Math, Science and SOSE shared on the drive through their school email. Please ensure that your child downloads them for usage at home.
High School (Years 9 -12)
1. All senior students are expected to wear their proper P.E uniform during P.E. Students should wear their house colour t-shirt and navy blue sports shorts. Students without proper P.E. uniforms will not participate in P.E activities.
2. Year 9 -12 Term overviews and timetables have been sent home yesterday.
3. As part of our Careers Guidance Program (CPG), we are looking for a possible guest speaker for our High School students next week, Wednesday from 8.30 -9.10 a.m.
We would be very appreciative if you would be able to share your career with our students.
If you can assist us by participating in this activity as a guest speaker or know of someone who could, please contact Alex on 30186 or 8407707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We would encourage parents to do their part in helping the students as we will also do our part to help them improve.
Friday 14 February: Primary Caring Hearts Assembly at 8:30 am in the hall/ Year 7 Assembly in the hall at 2:20 pm
Wednesday 19 February: Middle School STEM programme starts (STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
Friday 21 February: Year 4 Assembly at 8:30 am in the hall/ Year 9 Assembly at 2:20 pm in the hall
Friday 21 February: Year 4 Garage Sale at 3:00 pm in the hall.
Enjoy the rest of the week!